Skip to main content

Tag: property

Is Eskom clearances necessary for transfer of property?

The process of selling and transferring a property requires various legal documents to be signed, accounts to be settled and changed, certificates to be requested and more. Your conveyancing attorney will oversee this entire process for you, but in a world where knowledge is power, it is still important for you to know exactly what is happening, what documents you actually require and why.

When you look at the certificates you require, there are various categories – your Clearance Certificates, Compliance Certificates, and a Homeowners Certificate.

What do these certificates entail?

Your Clearance Certificates are certificates of proof from (a) your municipality and (b) the Body Corporate if you are selling a Sectional Title that any outstanding debt you had has been paid in full or that an arrangement (with the Body Corporate) has been made to pay the outstanding debt. Without these certificates it is impossible for the transfer of a property to continue.

The Compliance Certificates are required for electrical, electric fence (where applicable), gas, and beetle (in coastal regions) certificates. These need to be obtained prior to registration. The offer to purchase will usually specify the certificates that are required, and the bond attorney could also need these certificates to obtain consent to lodge the matter in the Deeds Office.

 The Homeowners Certificate is only necessary if the property is part of an estate with a Homeowners Association. Similar to the Clearance Certificates, the Homeowners Association must confirm that there are no outstanding debts on the property and that all conditions have been met, for example the purchaser agreeing to become art of the Homeowners Association.

By now you would have noticed that Eskom is not mentioned in any of these certificates that you require. So, what do they have to do with anything?

Where does clearance from Eskom fit in?

You do not need a certificate from Eskom for the transfer of a property to be completed. The Rates Clearance Certificate that you do require from the municipality in which the outstanding debt from the past two years as well as a monthly average for the next 4 to 6 months is calculated on your municipal bills will include your electricity.

It is, however, always wise to ensure that your Eskom bill is fully paid and that all these accounts for the property are transferred to the new owner, lest you are held liable for the purchaser’s consumption.

If you require attorneys, you can trust and that has your best interests at heart, don’t hesitate to contact AED Attorneys. Our extensive experience in conveyancing means that we know how to transfer your property quickly and carefully.  

AED Attorneys understands that every situation is unique, and although they strive to ensure that the information contained herein is accurate at the time of publishing, it cannot be guaranteed to be without errors or omissions. As a result, AED Attorneys, its employees, independent contractors, associates or third parties will under no circumstances accept liability or be held liable for any innocent or negligent actions or omissions in this article, which may result in any harm or liability flowing from the use of or the inability to use the information provided.